Section 504 of the Revised School Code states that public school academies shall neither charge tuition nor discriminate in pupil admissions policies or practices on the basis of intellectual or athletic ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, status as a handicapped person, or any other basis that would be illegal if used by a Michigan public school district.
For the 2024-2025 school year, to enroll in kindergarten, a child must be at least 5 years of age by September 1, 2024. Children turning 5 years of age on or before December 1, 2024 may be granted admission into the program with the use of a kindergarten waiver. Please contact our office for more information on kindergarten waivers.
- Academy enrollment shall be open to all individuals who reside in Michigan. Except for a foreign exchange student who is not a United States citizen, a public school academy shall not enroll a pupil who is not a Michigan resident.
- Academy admissions may be limited to pupils within a particular age range/grade level or on any other basis that would be legal if used by a Michigan public school district.
The Academy Board has established a policy providing enrollment priority to siblings of currently enrolled pupils, children of staff members, and children of board members.
- The academy shall allow any pupil who was enrolled in the immediately preceding academic year to re-enroll in the appropriate age range/grade level unless that grade is not offered.
- No student may be denied participation in the application process due to a lack of student records.
- If the academy receives more applications for enrollment than there are spaces available, pupils shall be selected for enrollment through a random selection drawing.